Thanks to its strategic location, Costa Rica is positioned in an ideal place for multinational service, life-science, advanced-manufacturing, and light-industry companies to base their operations.
To date, around 250 multinational companies operate within the country.
Services: We provide world-class services, from complex processes to customer service.
Advanced Manufacturing: We work on different complex levels, offering a diversity of manufactured products.
Light Manufacturing: This is an industrial sector that offers the perfect platform for key business partners throughout the world to join.
Agro-Industry and Food Processing: The food industry is in its prime, from traditional products to more exotic crops that are gaining worldwide popularity.
Life Sciences: We are the leading destination in Latin America for investment in medical technology. We produce medical devices from class I to class III.
According to the Ministry of Foreign Trade of Costa Rica, the countries and regions that Costa Rica trades most with are:
- Countries that Costa Rica exports to: USA (39.7%), followed by the Netherlands (7.1%), Panama (5.5%), Hong Kong (4.9%), Nicaragua (4.5%), and Guatemala (4.0%).
- Countries that Costa Rica imports from: USA (48.7%) is the main source of imports to the country, followed by China (8.9%), Mexico (6.2%), Japan (2.9%), Brazil (2.1%), and Guatemala (2.1%).
In the year 2016, the products that Costa Rica imported most to the rest of the world were:
- Agricultural products (27%)
- Medical and precision equipment (26%)
- Food products (16%)
- Chemical and pharmaceutical products (6%)
- Electrical components and electronics (5%)
- Plastics (4%)
- Metal-mechanic products (3%)
- Seafood (3%)
- Rubber (2%)
- Others (7%)